Monday, March 21, 2011

Concept of Audience: An introduction

In January I was travelling in the southern states of US and as always I was updating my friends on my travels and experiences on Facebook. Suddenly it hit me. Whenever I am in the US I start to update my status in English rather than in Danish. My concept of audience and who is reading my status updates changed. Now, virtually I know, that my audience has not changed. No matter where I go geographically, virtually I am in the same place. I can use privacy settings for status updates, and discard some and elect others to read my status updates. However, when I create a status update I always have an audience in mind. Sometimes it is my classmates at IT University of Copenhagen, sometimes its the people I go to church with, sometimes its my friends from Alabama and sometimes its just a mixture of a circle of near friends. My concept of imaginary audience changes. My real audience doesn't.

Who am I and what is this blog about?


My name is Martine and I am a master student at IT University in Copenhagen, Denmark and I study Digital Design and Communication. I am looking at doing a research on concept of audience in the subject Digital Culture and Society, and right now I am looking for people to discuss this concept with me, and later a target group to investigate with further. Would you like to be a target to my research? Write me an email, facebook me or reach me on Twitter.

Who am I again?
I like to travel, especially to the southern states of US, I live in rural Copenhagen with my cat, Cirkeline, I love to blog, I love music and books, to cook especially Indian food, to DJ at private parties, and I work part time as a student assistent doing online marketing on social networking sites for an online marketing consulting firm.

If you would  like to join the discussion, I would be much obliged.

To think about and comment below:
Who are you writing to when you write your status updates? Of your network of friends, how many (a number count) do you consider in your mind as your audience when you write your status update?

No comments:

Post a Comment