Friday, April 29, 2011

23. Change in statusupdates over time

This week I asked the following question:

Have you noticed a change in the content or phrasing of your status updates since you joined facebook? If so, how has it changed?
These are answes I received:
33) Yes, I have noticed a change. As I added new friends I have more "groups" of friends. I do not always think of the exact same group when I update; so, I guess I have a broader range of topics, issues, etc that I post. ...I might think, "my family would enjoy this video"; or, "my high school friends would really get this story"; or, "my church friends would appreciate this funny thing that happened to me", etc.
34) Yes, I also have a broader range of topics. Plus, wen I first joined fb, I was not in a good place in my life, so my updates tended to be very angry and pretty witchy, lol. And since I have friends' children as friends and former students, I make sure updates and stuff are G rated.
35) Yes, from a more narrow circle of friends my list of friends on Facebook has changed, so that it now includes distant aquaintances and colleagues, and it is not all private information I believe is their business.
Question for 35) do you lock your status updates? 
35) No, instead I have several lists of friends, that have various access to my profile. It is mostly party pictures taken of me that I dont think colleagues need to see. I am more aware of the content in my status updates now, than I was earlier, when Facebook was a more private medium. 
36) Yes, before I updated almost every day, and then I had to find something clever or funny to say. Now I just try to find something lasting longer, because I dont have time to spend on creating status updates any longer. And then, generally I dont believe, that I think as much about the content now then what I did previously. In a sense I care less.. if it makes sense. 
Question for 36) You say that You care less now, is it because you think, that since you have been on FB for so many years now, it has just become a comme ils faut, and it is just something "that you do"? Have you locked your status updates from certain people?
36) i think it is a combination of several things: I have less time now physically, so I cant spend time in front of the computer making up quirky status updates. I also feel much more "at home" and "at ease" with FB, kind of like when you know someone or work somewhere, and you get increasingly relaxed. And then as a person, I tend to not care, generally. I have made a conscious decision on turning down the self presentation and turning up the authentic reality, and that applies on FB as well. And then I have cleaned up in my friendlist. I had a shock when I saw somebody I remotely know, that said to me: "Oh, you were in IKEA the other day". Then it occured to me that people actually sit outthere and witness my life, and after that I deleted a lot of "friends". But I haven't locked my status updates from specifik people - no, I more think in the sense that people have to take it or leave it, if they think they are good enough friends with me to not hide me from their news feed. I have however excluded a few from all my status updates.
37) Yes, my status updates are longer. In the beginning I had to sum up the courage to write something, but once I started, I dared to venture more increasingly. Especially when the "like" button arrived, then I really got hooked because your Facebook friends could like your updates.
Question for 37) Do you think it has something to do with getting adjusted to the medium, whereas in the beginning one was having doubts about who "was out there, listening, watching"?
37) No more like a boundary of saying something out loud and how it is received and perceived. You present an image of "what is on your mind", and are telling something about yourself. Thats why it means so much, and you are thinking: "Uh oh, what if they think this.. when I write this..."  
38) Yes, they have! They have become less personal, and more directed to everybody who read along.
Question for 38) Do you then believe that you are considering your entire audience when you write your status updates?
38) Yes, more so now than before. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment